From Koh Phi Phi heading to the east coast islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao it makes sense to stop off along the way. I actually had to choose between Railay beach and Koh Lanta. If I had more time I definitely would have tried to make it to Koh Lanta but Railay and Tonsai are good options to check out.
Railay beach is a pretty famous beach in Thailand, from Krabi you take a long tail boat over and can spend the day relaxing on the beach or exploring the forest and nearby Tonsai Beach.
Tonsai beach is your hippie village with shacks in the jungle and plenty of mushroom shakes.
Admire the scenery
- Lay on the beach, swim in water and take the time to soak up the scenery, this place is beautiful.
Stroll through the jungle
- To get to Tonsai beach there is a track over the hill through the jungle which takes about an hour. Alternatively you can walk through the rocks at the end of Railay beach, learnt that the hard way.
Live like hippie at Tonsai Beach
- If you have time, take a break from the big nights and big buckets and immerse yourself in hippieland. There are a couple places to stay, expect basic basic living
- Your Hostel
- Literally its name
- This was full when I was there but I would recommend getting in here if you can. A better vibe and easier to meet people
- Tonsai Beach
- If you can, get out of your comfort zone and try and stay a night
- Unless you can get to Railay in the morning you arrive and enjoy a whole day there I would suggest staying 2 nights.