Siem Reap has something for everyone.
The people are smiley and friendly, there is a tonne of culture with the famous Angkor Wat, there are also a few good spots for a beer and a boogie.
It can get HOT and without an ocean nearby you might want to find a pool quick smart.
Absolute A+ for Siem Reap, there are also a tonne of expats living there so who knows how long you could get caught up for.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Theeee number 1 must do of Cambodia
- Organise a tuk-tuk the day before in order to make it for sunrise. Your tuk-tuk driver will stay with you and drive you between the different temples within the site. It is a big day exploring, lots of temples, lots of walking but very very worth it, the place is amazing and incomparable to any other temples you have seen.
Kompong Phluk (The Floating Village) & Tonle Sap Lake
- Combined into 2 because you can take a tour that will cover both, winning. Tonle Sap lake is the largest freshwater lake in South East Asia, usefulness aside it is an impressive place to watch the sunset as the sky blends into the water. The Floating Village is surprising impressive even when it isn’t floating. Boat through the village built on stilts and take time to play around with the kids.
- No joke, the name is actually pub street and you guessed it, there are plenty to choose from.
Siem Reap Pub Crawl
- Another city another pub crawl. This one is also pretty decent, and run by kiwis so you’re bound to have a good time.
- Cheap food. The end.
Sister Srey Cafe
- Usually I don’t recommend going for western food when surrounded by local cuisine but Sister Srey serves good coffee, has a great atmosphere and endevours to support the local community.
- Garden Village Guesthouse
- Cheap and did the job
- Funky Flashpacker
- It was a stop on the pub crawl and has a pool, a big bonus when you aren’t close to a beach and it is HOT
- Depending on how many days you want to do of Angkor Wat, stay at least 2 or 3 nights. Siem Reap is a cool spot to hang out in though so tacking on a few more days wouldn’t be a bad idea.