Koh Samui is one of 3 islands side by side in the Gulf of Thailand, along with Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Of the 3 Koh Samui is the largest and most developed and generally attracts more of your families in hotels and resorts type situations. Most backpackers head to Chaweng.
Big Buddha Temple / Wat Phra Yai
- Take some time to admire the cultural in Thailand. You will find the Big Buddha Temple located close to the port that takes you to Koh Phangnan so aim to get to it on the way.
- The temple is known for its giant golden Buddha that sits on top of a staircase high above the temple.
- Remember as with all temples you should cover shoulders and knees before going. Sarongs are always handy to carry with you.
- The Chaweng night market is a good dinner spot. You can also test out all the all the cocktail vendors for 70BHT a pop.
- If your sneaky enough you can buy cheap drinks from the shop and sneak them down the beach to enjoy the beach bar without the $$
- If you have made it this far through Thailand without trying one, now is the time. I’d recomend Nutella and banana!
- Behind the Scene
- Probably one of the nicest hostels I have stayed at during the Thailand leg.
- I stayed one night just to have a quick look around, it could be skipped to spend more time on the other islands but there is a decent nightlife.